- Prep: 25 min.
- Cook: 9 hours
- Yield: 16 Servings
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- TOMATILLO SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tomatillos, husks removed
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), room temperature
- Cut roast in half. Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons paprika, pepper flakes, cumin and salt; rub over meat. Place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the cola, broth, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Set meat aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices and return meat to slow cooker. Stir in remaining brown sugar and paprika. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the mayonnaise, milk, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, dressing mix, lime juice, garlic and cayenne. Cover and process until blended. Pour into a small bowl. Chill until serving.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Drizzle with some of the tomatillo sauce. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 16 servings (2-1/3 cups sauce).
Editor’s Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Shredded Pork Burritos in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p71
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling orGewürtztraminer